Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Reaction To Obama's Speech

I am forty years old and this was one of the most moving and inspiring speeches that I have ever heard. My parents have Malcolm and Martin to speak of when talking about their contemporaries, but I now have Barack Obama. I think that this was one of the best, if not best speeches about race in history. It was honest as he talked about the racial divide on both black and white. He made it personal regarding his grandmother who is white and his preacher who is black. Man, I was almost brought to tears because it is true that we all have these private sentiments and don't want to face it in public. I can understand the fiery speeches and preachings of the likes of a Rev. Jeremiah Wright because of the era that he came from. My father-in-law has some pent up hatred because of the way he was treated while fighting for the U.S.A. in Korea that he always tells me. I know of some white resentment as well and understand it. But my generation, who came from the tail end of the civil rights era, had to deal with school busing and some minor overt racism. However, Obama is talking to the generation of my young daughter and telling them that it can be a better way. The old way is dying out and there must be a new way of dealing with race, but we must face the fact that it has and does exist. He did a wonderful job of addressing the issue. I have the utmost respect for him for not throwing his Pastor under the bus, because I have a strong black Pastor and will not do that as well. However he had to differentiate himself from his beliefs and his Reverend's. I hope that America see that he made a courageous step today and for that I am still a supporter. I was skeptical of how he might handle this but he handled it head on, like a true leader. Others would have brushed it aside, but he made a pivotal speech. Truthfully, this incident might have been the best thing for his campaign because the truth will come out of the voters. Do we want status quo (Hillary) or do we want true change (Obama). GOD Bless him.

No comments: